Administration / Operations
|Address||2021 2nd Ave N|
Overview: Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham (VLB) inspires and supports lawyers to improve access to justice through pro bono work. We make volunteering easy by executing innovative programming, training, support, and case management that results in the greatest possible number of low-income people obtaining immediate help to solve life-altering legal problems. Last year, 3,300 low-income people received legal assistance through VLB. Volunteer Lawyers Birmingham is a 501(c)3.
Reports to: Operations Manager
Position Summary: Responsible for the administrative coordination of the office, providing administrative and clerical assistance.
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Proven organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects with superb accuracy.
- Excellent administrative skills including setting meetings, preparing meeting documents, answering phones, making copies, filing, and other skills.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Exceptional customer service skills, over the phone and in person, with our clients, volunteer attorneys, and board members.
- Experienced in Word suite, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to Executive Director by answering phone, returning messages, scheduling meetings, delivering internal and external mail, and writing thank you notes.
- Serve as main operator for office telephones.
- Assist Operations Manager with maintaining case management and donor management systems including making updates, creating reports, and entering information.
- Ability to make updates to volunteer calendar.
- Assist Operations Manager with finances and bookkeeping, including invoicing for payments/reimbursements, bill pay, check writing and filing of financial documents.
- Ability to file and maintain office documents including internal office procedures, insurance policies, employee records, and grant documents.
- Maintain grant calendar including application and report due dates as well as payment schedules.
- Ability to update web sites through content management system such as WordPress.
- Ability to conduct all board and committee communications as well as maintain meeting schedule, arrange and secure meeting rooms, and assist with preparation of meeting documents.
- Assist Operations Manager with donor communications.
- Ability to manage/order supplies and other office equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot computers and printers, serving as a liaison with the contract technology resource.
- Ability to maintain the office breakroom/kitchen.
- Experienced ordering catering for meetings, events, and CLEs.
- Assist with planning and coordinating special events such as Pro Hops Vino!, the BBVLP’s annual wine and beer tasting and with regular CLEs.
- Positive can-do attitude with a desire to constantly improve.
- Proven superior work history with at least 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. High school diploma required.
- References provided.
- Background check and citizenship clearance.
Special Demands: Must have sufficient manual dexterity to type efficiently, must have limited impairments to vision or be able to utilize a screen reader, must be ambulatory and be able to lift a minimum of 30 lbs. (out-of-office legal clinics supply lifting), must be able to speak and be understood clearly for client interaction and speaking on behalf of the organization.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest, specifically outlining how they meet the minimum qualifications, their resume, samples of marketing/administrative work including a writing sample, salary requirements, and references to Nancy Yarbrough, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.