|Location||Birmingham, United States|
BASIC Teacher Description
BASIC is a program that redresses summer learning loss among under-served children. Its unique methodology, rotating the students from an academic station to a sports-skill station every fifty minutes for 6.5 hours per day, sets it apart as it does not resemble normal school. Inspired by the teachers in the classroom and on the field during the entire day, each of the twenty days of Summer BASIC, students build close friendships that become motivating factors in daily attendance and repeat participation over the years. 2018 BASIC venues are: BASIC East: Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 980 Huffman Road, Birmingham, AL 35215 from June 4th through June 29th. BASIC South: June 4 to June 15 John Carroll Catholic High School 300 Lakeshore Parkway, Birmingham, AL 35209 and June 18 to June 29 Hoover Metropolitan Stadium 100 Ben Chapman Drive, Hoover, AL 35244
Teachers are needed in the following areas: Reading Specialist, Math Specialist, Sport Instructor (sports include soccer, baseball/softball, volleyball)
● Implementing BASIC academic curriculum in which all lessons are sports related and/or sports curriculum as per BASIC daily lessons
● Creating a positive, supportive, and achievement-oriented environment for students.
● Motivating and holding students to high behavioral standards.
● Working as a team with all BASIC instructors to reinforce socio/emotional character traits
● A bachelor’s degree or above is desired and a teaching certificate
● Previous teaching experience with elementary/middle school-age children
● Knowledge of innovative instructional practices and strategies.
● Excellent organizational and communication skills.
● Stamina to teach in summer heat (sports instructors) for several hours each day
● Belief that all children can succeed.
● Ability to motivate students for each of the twenty days of the summer program
● Flexibility, a sense of humor, and a team player attitude.
Compensation: $20.00 per hour paid at end of June. No benefits.
To apply: Send resume to the American Baseball Foundation Inc. 833 Saint Vincent’s Drive Birmingham, AL 35205; email: email@example.com; 205-558-4235 www.americanbaseballfoundation.com