|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Birmingham, United States|
The YWCA of Central Alabama is looking for a proven Chief Financial Officer who will serve as a hands-on financial leader with responsibility for broad oversight and protection of the assets of the organization. The CFO will assist the CEO in assessing and identifying operational strategies and financial challenges and opportunities to meet the demands of the agency. Candidate is responsible for collaboration with Senior Managers to develop and implement organizational structure to support the overall financial strategic plan that supports the mission. This forward-leaning individual will also assure the financial viability of the organization through proactive analysis and sound administration of policies and procedures.
The CFO will oversee areas of accounting, finance, financial forecasting, strategic analysis, internal controls, Cash Management and compliance adherence relating to financial areas. As a member of the executive leadership team the CFO will report to the CEO and provide strong leadership, vision and financial and operational planning for the organization. The successful candidate will be an effective communicator who has a demonstrated ability to improve the strategic positioning and financial performance of the agency as a whole.
- Responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the efforts of staff to ensure that accounting functions are accomplished during the month to facilitate the closing of the general ledger and production of accurate and timely financial records.
- Reviews and approves transactional accounting entries and supporting documentation to ensure relevance, accuracy and compliance with established standards including relevant non-profit accounting regulations. This includes review of ledger entries and reconciliations.
- Manages and supports cash management and investment portfolio.
- Assesses current accounting operations, offers recommendations for improvements in processes, organizational structure and/or controls and implements approved recommendations.
- Employs effective communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with co-workers and other associates. Requires the ability to build, develop and maintain good relationships across the organization and with the Board of Directors as needed.
- Responsible for the development of staff to meet current demands and prepare them for future challenges in an effort to improve department performance which requires effective planning, goal setting, and coaching of subordinates on an ongoing basis, as well as teamwork and open communication.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and nonprofit accounting standards.
- Acts decisively and supports all aspects of the organization working together to accomplish YWCA objectives, vision, mission and values.
- Sets challenging goals (individual and organizational) and tracks performance, and ensures that all projects/tasks are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Establishes trust with team members, stating clear expectations and accountabilities. Recognizes group morale and acts to protect or build as necessary.
- Promotes effective utilization of resources and eliminates unnecessary duplication and of resources and manual processes.
- Actively confronts barriers to communication and effectiveness in a firm, but approachable manner.
- Asks series of probing questions to go beyond surface issues and fully understand the components of a problem and its root causes.
The ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree, CPA, CMA or MBA – minimum six years relevant accounting experience and 5 years in a management role. Non-profit accounting and Blackbaud/Financial Edge experience preferred. He/she will possess problem-solving skills; reasons logically and analytically to reach decisions. The candidate will possess the ability to act decisively and support all aspects of the organization, sets challenging goals (individual and organization), communicates clearly and listens carefully in an open, candid and consistent manner. The candidate will have superior critical thinking capabilities and experience developing and implementing strategies and plans, and ideally overseeing major initiatives.