|at ( view profile)|
Communications / Public Relations
Job Title: Communications Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
Designation: Salaried, Non-Exempt
Pay Range: Negotiable (commensurate with experience)
Organization Overview: The mission of the Southern AIDS Coalition (SAC) is to end the HIV epidemic in the South. We are a non-partisan coalition of government, community, and business leaders working alongside thousands of individual members to prevent new infections and build a better South for people living with HIV. We do this through public health advocacy, capacity building and education, research and evaluation, and strategic grantmaking.
We envision a better South for people living with HIV, one where every person has access to high-quality health care and essential support services (including safe, decent, affordable housing), free from stigma and discrimination. We also envision a South where every person understands their risk for HIV transmission, receives routine screening, and has access to a full range of prevention interventions and harm reduction services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all organization communication, including email blasts, e-newsletters and action alerts.
- Maintain and manage member database and online engagement software
- Strategically post content to organization website and across social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Create or coordinate health communication and social marketing campaigns via various channels, including mass media (e.g., billboards, television, radio), small media (e.g., videos or printed materials), and social media.
- Create or coordinate additional content output like videos, infographics, podcasts, etc.
- Develop press releases and foster relationships with media contacts
- Provide technical assistance and ongoing support to increase the capacity of state advocacy networks to communicate with and mobilize their members
- Provide skills-based trainings to help local advocates develop their own health communication and social marketing campaigns and programs
- Participate in relationships with contractors that assist organization with web development, content marketing, branding, or other public relations services
- Assist with other SAC activities, as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Qualified candidate must have at least two (2) years of experience in communications or related field.
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or related field; experience using online engagement programs such as Salsa Labs; and previous success in creating compelling public health campaigns.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong desire to work with communities that are disproportionately impacted by HIV/AIDS in the South, including communities of color, low-income populations, men who have sex with men, transgender or gender non-conforming people, youth, women, injection drug users, and rural populations
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities, and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to speak to groups in public or via electronic media
- Ability to take initiative, set goals, and execute tasks with limited direct supervision
- Ability to travel and willingness to work some evenings and weekends as part of a flexible work schedule
Location: The Southern AIDS Coalition is based in Birmingham, Alabama, but we will consider exceptional candidates who reside elsewhere in the South. The position will involve some travel, and candidates will need access to transportation. Depending on location, the position may be office-based or home-based.
Apply: To apply, please submit a resume and creative cover letter outlining your relevant experience and clearly stating your salary requirements to email@example.com. Candidates are also encouraged to provide a sample portfolio of work, if available. Note: only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. All inquiries will be kept confidential.
The Southern AIDS Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived HIV status, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. We are committed to recruiting, employing, and promoting qualified people living with HIV as well as members of populations most disproportionately impacted by the epidemic in the South.