|at ( view profile)|
Development / Fundraising
Alabama Humanities Foundation
Director for Development
Job Description and Responsibilities
Alabama Humanities Foundation (AHF) is a statewide nonprofit and the premier advocate and resource to make the humanities an integral part of Alabamians’ everyday thinking and way of life. We have a staff of 7 full time employees, 2 part-time contracted positions and our offices are in Birmingham, AL. Governance is through a Board of Directors that is comprised of 25 members from across Alabama. Our budget averages approximately $1.3M per year with funding coming from federal, state and private sources.
The Director for Development serves as the lead of our dynamic team to create and execute the development strategy for the Alabama Humanities Foundation. Working directly for the Executive Director, the focus of Director for Development will be to develop and implement a strategy to increase, cultivate, and procure diverse and sustainable revenue. The Director for Development must think strategically and practically to execute a results oriented development plan that includes traditional and innovative strategies. It is expected that the Director for Development will generate new funding that will exceed all previous efforts in the first full year and continue growth in succeeding years.
* Create, write and implement coordinated and comprehensive development plan and calendar that will include (and not be limited to) special events, direct mail solicitations and all grants.
*Expand funding for scholarships and re-granting opportunities.
* Working with AHF staff, create and write compelling, relevant and comprehensive grant proposals to local and national donor sources including individuals, corporate, nonprofit, federal and state governmental organizations.
* Increase Board member donations.
* Operate and manage donor software operations.
* Acknowledge promptly and accurately all donations to AHF.
* Coordinate effective marketing and public relations for fundraising activities.
* Coordinates all development special events from inception to completion.
* Complies with all reporting requirements, internally and externally, to fulfill commitment to accountability and transparency.
* Provide systems and tools to ensure all funders, board members, staff and partners in fundraising have the tools they need to support AHF development demands.
* Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Demonstrated knowledge of successful fundraising techniques.
* Proven ability to meet and exceed performance goals.
* Be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
* Friendly, timely donor service and follow up.
* Comfortable with operating donor database and software.
* Ability to prioritize responsibilities and effective time management.
* Possess personal integrity, strong ethics and be a collaborative team player.
Competencies and Qualifications
* Five to seven years of relevant fundraising experience involving similar job responsibilities, preferably in the nonprofit area.
* Bachelor’s degree in humanities field, marketing or in philanthropic related education. Graduate degree desired.
* Certified Fund Raising Executive designation a plus.
* Valid driver’s license and able to travel with occasional overnights.
* Proven strategic thinker and problem solver.
* Knowledge of Alabama philanthropic community important.
* Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge donor base software, a plus.
* Proven experience with special events.
* Microsoft Office capable.
* Social media experience.
This position is generally performed in an office and community environment and may require mobility to sit and walk for moderate periods of time. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate typical office equipment such as, but not limited to, computer, telephone, calculator and copier. May require lifting up to 30 pounds and requires normal range of hearing and vision. Periodic driving may be necessary.
The statements above reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions of the job, the level and knowledge and skill required, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
Generous benefits package to accompany competitive salary.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org