|at ( view profile)|
|Location||Birmingham, United States|
General Position Summary:
Responsible for promoting all aspects of Vulcan Park and Museum (VPM). Considers opportunities for special VPM community events, creates concepts, directs implementation and evaluates effectiveness. Responsible for development, implementation and assessment of annual and ongoing public relations, communications and marketing plans that support VPM’s annual earned and contributed income and community relations goals. Serves as member of key leadership team.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Incorporates VPM’s policies and procedures, mission and vision and commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement and institutional relevancy in all marketing and public relations activities.
- Contributes to and supports VPM’s strategic plan, annual priorities and institutional initiatives.
- Contributes creative ideas and proposes solutions to support a proactive work environment.
- Exercises leadership, the highest level of integrity and professionalism in all aspects of work on behalf of VPM.
- Serves as member of Community Engagement Committee of the board, coordinates with committee chair to schedule meetings, prepare agenda, packet materials and sees that minutes are prepared.
- Personally or with professional assistance, targets markets, and prepares annual and long range marketing and public relations plans for public events, exhibitions, cultural tourism, membership, gift shop items, event facilities, sponsorships, development and other institutional priorities as needed. Develops related budgets and, once approved, implements plans and tracks effectiveness.
- In conjunction with Development Director, targets community segments and government entities for funding, develops strategies to cultivate relationships, plans special activities to encourage use of park by officials and/or constituents.
- Coordinates, internally and externally, marketing campaign and all stakeholder communications including collaterals, direct mail/email, newsletters, website, advertising, social media, etc. With input of CEO and/or Community Engagement Committee submits requests for proposals as appropriate, negotiates contracts with vendors and works closely with advertising representatives.
- Ensures consistency in messages and appearance in communications from all departments. Guides development of promotional materials and form copy for all departments.
- Works closely with key colleagues to extend VPM’s visibility across traditional and non-traditional marketing/advertising and public relations areas to build brand awareness, brand loyalty and to drive new and repeat visitation and contributions.
- With support from key colleagues, Community Engagement Committee and/or CEO, considers ideas for new public/community events, plans details, negotiates with vendors with input from Director of Visitor Experience as appropriate, publicizes, informs Development Director of sponsorship opportunities, oversees events, and implements evaluations. Complies post event sponsor reports as needed.
- Develops surveys, analyzes, interprets and applies research to improve effectiveness of marketing/pr efforts.
- Strategically cultivates media relationships, serving as primary media contact and spokesperson for radio, tv, print, web and others.
- Oversees or personally writes press releases, articles and news features for VPM activities, facilities and programs, and promotes inclusion of such in local, regional and national publications and broadcasts.
- Extends the reach of marketing/pr efforts beyond budget through partnerships, cross-promotions and collaborative relationships with other organizations.
- Identify, cultivate and develop relationships with key representatives of travel/tourism industry, and related interest groups, to promote involvement, collaborative efforts and support for projects. Serves as primary liaison for tourism organizations.
- Develops guidelines, presentations and list of speakers for speakers’ bureau and promotional visits of Vulcan character “V” with the support of Marketing Coordinator. Trains, promotes services to groups and schedules speaking engagements. Personally speak to groups.
- Provides strategic guidance and direction to support staff regarding social media and engages entire staff in social media strategies.
- With support from outside agency, controls use of registered marks (image and name), approves uses and associated fees, and directs follow up on infringements.
- Develops, updates and trains appropriate staff and board members on Crisis Communication plan.
- With input from other departments, compiles long range and annual fiscal year calendar of events, and through appropriate staff, distributes internally and externally with support of Office Manager.
- Develop strategies to gain support and use of park facilities by economic development entities.
- Evaluates value and appropriateness of comps and/or trade outs for event facilities, tickets, etc. and approves as deemed appropriate.
- Strategically directs compilation of research data on exhibits, educational programs, park visitation, etc. Evaluates outcome and develops appropriate strategies. Works with other departments to consider and implement needed changes.
- Seeks opportunities for special awards/recognitions, and with appropriate staff input, completes and submits applications and/or nomination forms.
- Either personally or through support staff or service, photographically documents events
- Updates promotional item give away policy as deemed appropriate.
- Develop and distribute annual report.
- Plan special events for media and evaluate efficacy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Performs duties with limited direction given. Many decisions are made within general company policy constraints. Strategic decisions require approval of CEO and/or Board or committee of the board. As a paid director of the foundation, sound judgment and independent decision making are required.
Marketing Representative or similar position as it may exist from time to time.
Has both internal and external contacts. The most common internal contacts are with staff, volunteers and members of the Board of Directors. The most frequent external contacts are with media, government agencies and officials, corporate, civic and association leaders. Internal and external interactions involve information exchange, problem solving, some negotiation, and discussion of confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Changing 21st century audience development trends and strategies
- Non-profit, arts and cultural pr/marketing practices
- Administrative principles and methods, including goal setting, program development and implementation, and budgetary procedures
- Computer systems and applications
- Ability to read, write and speak English proficiently
- Plan, organize and coordinate audience development, marketing, public relations and research activities
- Analyze, synthesize and communicate VPM messages, integrating multiple viewpoints that are reflective of diverse audiences
- Effectively interact with corporate, media and government leaders, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Work across functions, integrating content, learning and pr/marketing objectives into the creation and execution of VPM’s engagement goals
- Communicate effectively orally and in written materials
- Able to exhibit sound judgment under pressure
- Proven ability to plan strategically, manage projects, and organize with strict attention to detail.
- Operate a motor vehicle in the performance of position responsibilities
- Work evenings and weekends as needed
- Balance short- and long-term priorities and projects
- Stand, sit or walk for extended periods of time
- Bend, stoop and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Coordinate multiple concurrent tasks
- Collect, interpret and /or analyze complex data and information
- Utilize visual acuity and hand and finger dexterity to operate equipment, read and comprehend technical information, and/or use a keyboard
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field from accredited four year institution required
- Minimum four years experience in marketing, communications, public relations or related field, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility required
- Experience in non-profit, cultural or arts industries preferred
This position requires the individual to work alone and/or with others, and to work on numerous concurrent tasks. Requires working flexible schedule, working indoors and outdoors in hot or cold seasonal conditions, working with noise and crowds. Other work conditions may include working in an office environment with office equipment and long hours at the computer.