|at ( view profile)|
Communications / Public Relations
|Salary||$28,000 - $31,000 DOE|
|Address||3703 5th Avenue South, Suite 400,|
Mission: The mission of Start The Adventure In Reading (STAIR) is to improve the reading skills and self-esteem of second graders.
Program Overview: STAIR is an after school reading program which seeks to improve the reading skills of second grade children, reading below grade level, in the Birmingham City Schools by one-on-one tutoring using well-trained community volunteers and a proven curriculum. STAIR currently has partnerships with 13 Birmingham City Schools, serving over 210 students, and utilizing over 450 volunteers. STAIR increased its reach during the 2017-18 school year by adding an additional site, and recruiting over 100 additional volunteer tutors.
Job Description: STAIR is seeking and energetic and highly organized individual to join our growing team as the Director of Volunteer Engagement. The ideal candidate will have a background that reflects experience in community outreach and engagement or relevant for profit experience. The desired candidate will be one who thrives in a high energy, high impact work environment, is 100% a self-starter, is extremely detail oriented and has the drive to help STAIR reach all the students who need tutors in our community.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Works in collaboration with team to promote STAIR priorities, programs and activities and helps ensure that STAIR is seen as a valuable children’s community literacy organization by educating volunteers, businesses, and community groups about the literacy needs of students in the community.
- Develops and executes volunteer recruitment plan with the Director of Community Engagement to increase STAIR’s presence in the community and conducts outreach to drive volunteer engagement, participation and connectivity.
- Cultivate traditional and non-traditional partners, volunteers, faith-based organizations and businesses to actively engage in the organization’s mission and efforts.
- Responsible for achieving key metrics for organization’s volunteer recruitment priorities in conjunction with established site growth and ability to add new STAIR sites.
- Works with the Director of Community Engagement to promote STAIR of Birmingham, expand community outreach to target new pools of tutors and other program volunteers.
- Seeks out and attends fairs, conferences, events and speaks to civic, business and community groups to provide information about STAIR to the community.
- Attends and participates in activities/events related to the STAIR program that are sponsored or promoted by other organizations in the Birmingham community.
- Works with STAIR’s Junior Board and the Director of Development to come up with effective volunteer recruitment strategies and plan yearly fundraising event.
- Communicates with volunteers and site directors to identify stories that can be used by the Director of Community Engagement in online and print literature.
Program highlights can be found by visiting our website at www.stairbirmingham.org.
For more information about how to apply for the position please see the attached job description.