Executive Director / CEO
|Address||1229 Cotton Avenue SW|
URBAN MINISTRY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
For 40 years Urban Ministry has been a witness to the truth that a single act of compassion today can lead to healing and wholeness tomorrow. Urban Ministry is currently looking for a high-energy, committed professional to lead the organization.
Leadership Experience Priorities
- Courageous, visionary leader for cutting edge community development and social enterprise ministry currently celebrating its 40th Anniversary.
- Commitment to and understanding of the principles and values of Christian Community Development and Asset-Based Community Development.
- Deep experience and appreciation for urban communities like Birmingham’s West End and ability to engage with very diverse staff, volunteers, and community members.
- Engaged in the Birmingham area with knowledge and experience related to organizations and communities committed to working with low-income community members.
- Minimum of 5-10 years experience in leadership roles, fund development and non-profit management.
- 40th Anniversary and Long-term Strategic Plan Management – Executing the goals and objectives laid out in Urban Ministry’s Long-term Strategic Plan. Executing the fundraising and expansion goals regarding community development and social enterprise as part of Urban Ministry’s 40th Anniversary Campaign.
- Operational Management – day-to-day business operations of medium sized (and growing) non-profit with $1M budget in 2018. Maintain facilities (main campus on Cotton Ave. and dorm campus in Midfield); Payroll; Oversight of 3 bank accounts, credit cards, accounts debits/credits, monthly bill paying; Manage vehicle and company liability insurance; manage federal grants issued through City of Birmingham and Jefferson County.
- Fundraising Management – in concert with Director of Development & Communications and Board of Directors, meet budget requirements, assist with donor relations (especially United Methodist Church congregations and individuals who comprise nearly 60% of annual income), grow funding sources (especially individual major donors), assist with 3 fundraising events/campaigns, assist with grant writing, write monthly blog and thank you letters.
- Budget Management - Ownership of annual operating budget including cost controls balanced to income sources. Ability to use Ministry’s credit resources to smooth cash flow and communicate with lenders. Development of short and long term budgeting specific to each program area with supporting detail by line item.
- Staff Management – Supervise all Sr. Staff personnel. Duties to include but not limited to; staff meetings, staff development, staff goal setting, maintain HR files regarding hiring, disciplining, terminating; conduct annual evaluations in concert with Board of Directors’ Personnel Committee.
- Board Relations – support Board of Directors bi-monthly meetings; prepare reports, including Financial Reports; meet with Finance Committee and Fund Development Committee bi-monthly; engage Board members with ongoing program work; relate to entities represented by the Board (i.e. congregations, corporations, organizations) to strengthen Urban Ministry overall.
- Program Oversight – keep close contact with senior staff/directors to ensure program vision, needs, capacity building, and finances.
- Community Church Without Walls UMC – work in concert with clergy and lay leaders to strengthen the work of the church in the community and vice versa; relate to church through involvement, familiarization, and observation.
- West End Community Engagement – Engage with the West End community with all elements of programming.
- Benefits include: Salary commensurate with experience, retirement plan, and vacation.
- To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Monday, April 23. In the subject line of email please put Executive Director Position – YOUR NAME.