Executive Director / CEO
|Salary||60,000 to 65,000 annually, DOE|
Application instructions can be found at the end of this description.
Position: Executive Director
Location: Applicant must currently live in or be willing to relocate to Alabama (Birmingham preferred)
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Submission deadline: Open until filled, but priority will be given to submissions received by Friday, July 27, 2018.
Equality Alabama is the state’s oldest advocacy organization dedicated to advancing equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer Alabamians where they live, work, learn, and play. Our vision is a fair and just Alabama.
Equality Alabama is comprised of three organizations: Equality Alabama Foundation, a 501(c)(3) that leads the organization’s public education and civic engagement efforts; Equality Alabama, a 501(c)(4) that leads the organization’s lobbying and advocacy efforts; and Equality Alabama PAC, a state political committee that supports the organization’s political endorsements.
Equality Alabama is seeking an experienced Executive Director to provide executive leadership and oversight of the organization. They will be responsible for operationalizing and implementing a strategic vision for Equality Alabama and for leading the staff, volunteers, partners, and allies in advancing the mission of the organization.
Among the most important priorities for the new Executive Director will be leading efforts to ensure the long-term strategic and financial viability of Equality Alabama while maintaining its solid position in the progressive movement in Alabama, the South, and at the national level. The Executive Director will accomplish this by expanding and strengthening Equality Alabama’s relationships with its constituents, volunteers, allies, and other supporters, including its relationship and work with other social justice organizations, and bringing personal leadership to building an Equality Alabama that is inclusive and fully representative of the diversity of all of Alabama LGBTQ community. This includes building bridges with partners, collaborating with those on the other side of the aisle from us, and bridging gaps with the intersectionality of race, gender, and sexuality within our communities.
In collaboration with the Field Director, the Executive Director will develop a comprehensive plan to engage and mobilize LGBTQ Alabamians and allies on the organization’s key priorities, including protecting our victories, advancing transgender equality, and banning conversion therapy.
The Executive Director is responsible for the following:
- With the Board, help to finalize and implement strategic plan for Equality Alabama;
- Solidify and communicate a clear, concise set or priorities and a roadmap to achieve them;
- Translate the vision of the organization into achievable and measurable benchmarks through the completion of a strategic plan;
- Provide visionary leadership to the organization;
- Engage, motivate and grow the supporter base.
Legislative Advocacy Leadership
- Be an effective, trusted, public advocate and spokesperson before public bodies;
- Continue efforts to impact policy and legislation, including by developing functioning relationships with policy makers;
- Expand political advocacy work;
- Advocate for trans rights, anti-racism, gender, and LGBTQ issues and inclusion;
- Lead and expand programmatic and campaign efforts; with particular focus on field development efforts and expanding support for all areas of the state.
- Build strong working relationships with local, state, regional, and national leaders, and enlist support for accomplishing goals and tasks;
- Act as a public advocate and media-ready spokesperson for the organization and its mission in the state and within the LGBTQ and allied social justice movement(s);
- Build and improve external communication, public speaking opportunities, messaging, and the visibility of the organization;
- Strengthen partnerships and build alliances amongst diverse partners such as businesses, local and national LGBTQ and social justice organizations, allies, legislators, and the faith community.
- Serve as Equality Alabama’s chief fundraiser and implement a system to grow the financial resources of Equality Alabama’s financial system; including, but not limited to, individual, corporate, foundation giving, special events, appropriate grants, and relevant partnerships;
- Maintain positive, personal relationships with key individual and institutional funders;
- Help expand the organization’s base of financial support;
- Develop the annual budget and monitor expenditures and financial outlook.
- Supervise the staff through management, development, and evaluation;
- Develop/Implement performance metrics with clear accountabilities and measures for success;
- Recruit additional staff as appropriate/necessary;
- Encourage teamwork, coordination, and focus with your staff.
- Develop the annual budget and monitor expenditures and financial outlook with the Treasurer of the Board of Directors;
- Oversee financial and administrative functions to ensure immediate and long-term fiscal integrity of the Foundation;
- Maintain an innovative approach to management, exploring and implementing initiatives that facilitate financial success;
- Protect the organization’s interests by ensuring legal and regulatory compliance.
- Support the operations and administration of the Board, including meeting logistics, meeting preparation and proceedings, documentation of Board-approved organizational policies, etc.
- Support Board development efforts by identifying and recommending emerging leaders for Board service, and by leading or participating in Board training as appropriate/necessary
- Attend all Board meetings and participate in ongoing executive and other committee calls as required.
It is not expected that any single candidate will have expertise in all functioning areas listed above, but the successful candidates will have a compelling combination of strengths in many of them and the drive and wisdom to leverage other resources in the area(s) in which they may lack personal mastery.
Equality Alabama is seeking a candidate who is results-focused, highly driven, possesses outstanding interpersonal communication skills, and is organized and meticulous. The Executive Director should be a proven leader who exudes passion for the mission of Equality Alabama.
Candidates should have:
- Interest in LGBTQ issues and passion for Equality Alabama’s mission and vision;
- Personal commitment to advancing equality for LGBTQ Alabamians and their families through civic engagement;
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a record of working through obstacles to meet goals;
- Experience in policy/advocacy, lobbying, electoral politics, and grassroots organizing;
- Skills and experience in creating and implementing strategic plans;
- Proven success in general management, development, policy/advocacy, or programmatic role in related field;
- Successful track record of nonprofit fundraising including growing/establishing diverse funding streams through individual, foundation, and government agencies;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills including media relations, marketing, and messaging; comfortable and credible on camera and in print interviews;
- Experience incorporating messaging into grassroots organizing efforts;
- Ability to multi-task and manage short and long-term deadlines;
- Experience with leading, training, motivating, and organizing volunteers;
- The ability to engage easily and naturally with anyone and to work effectively with diverse allies, community members, volunteers, and colleagues;
- Experience with grant writing, applications, preparation, compliance, and reporting, with special emphasis on seeking out new grant sources;
- Experience in voter and data management, including experience using the Voter Activation Network (VAN) and EveryAction CRM supporter databases.
This position requires the ability to work evening and weekend hours and travel in the state between 5-10 days per month.
Familiarity with Alabama’s political, LGBTQ, and/or progressive movements are pluses but not requirements.
Equality Alabama is committed to economic justice and interrupting classism at every opportunity. As such, we do not include formal education requirements in our recruitment materials for employment with the organization, and candidates with formal education will not be viewed more or less favorably during any portion of the candidate review process. Successful candidates should have demonstrable and significant experience that best positions them to succeed in this role.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary ranges between $60,000 and $65,000 annually depending on experience, and Equality Alabama offers a benefits package with 100% employer-sponsored health insurance and generous time-off benefits.
Equality Alabama is an aggressive advocate of inclusivity and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds – particularly people of color, women, LGBTQ people, people living with HIV, immigrants or refugees, people with disabilities, and people from low- or moderate-incomes.
Equality Alabama provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including (but not limited to) hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, a resume, cover letter, and three professional references should be submitted to the search committee at email@example.com with “Executive Director” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.