Administration / Operations
|Address||Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama, 1700 4th Avenue South|
The Family Care Specialist (FCS) II is usually one of the first and last contacts for anyone staying at or visiting the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama, Inc. (RMHCA). RMHCA includes operations of either the RMHCA Family Room at UAB Women and Infants’ Center (UABFR) or the House. As such, the role is vital in setting and maintaining a positive experience for families and RMHCA visitors. The FCS II is a most important ambassador for RMHCA and should be personable and caring in all interactions with guests, volunteers, donors, hospital staff and visitors.
Primary responsibilities of the FCS II include: coordinating the calendar/schedule for the short-term (STS) and long-term (LTS) stay rooms at the House; the receiving/review of referrals, the scheduling and checking-in/out of guests, receiving and logging mail/room donations and deposits, assuring rooms are scheduled for cleaning/preparation between guests; responding to referring provider, guest, volunteer and visitor questions and requests, etc.
The FCS II also assists in: ensuring the continuity of UABFR or House operations which include safety, and security; assuring that the facilities are clean; orienting front desk volunteers; acknowledging volunteers and in-kind donors; and supporting special events and programs related to the House.
The FCS II is expected to have knowledge of RMHCA and its programs and to be able to clearly and positively represent the organization to guests, volunteers, donors, referral sources and visitors. The FCS II is also expected to assume certain functions generally performed by the Director of Operations during his/her absence.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time (must use time clock on premises to track hours worked). The FCS II is assigned to work at the House but may also cover for staff at the UABFR if necessary.
Hours: Assigned shift (includes one hour unpaid lunch) but may be asked to cover for other staff when necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To provide outstanding customer service and care to all of the guests, volunteers, donors and visitors that come to RMHCA.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Hospitality and Guest Services
- Provide above and beyond service to ensure a positive and genuine experience.
- Assist the organization in achieving high levels of Guest satisfaction and engagement.
- Greet all guests with a smile as they come and go.
- Respond to Guests needs and anticipates their unstated ones, directing them to the appropriate person when necessary.
- Actively listen and resolve Guest issues, consulting with other staff as needed.
- Remains accessible to the guests during the entire shift.
- Explains House policies and procedures, giving tours to new guests when possible.
- Performs guest check-ins/outs.
- Performs the electronic update of the daily waiting list and unoccupied room log
- Receives and log referrals, contacting social services when needed for information or exception forms.
Volunteers/Donors/ Community/External Relations
- Assist the organization in achieving high levels of Volunteer satisfaction and engagement.
- Greets and assists with volunteers and/or volunteer groups, assisting with providing direction and answering questions.
- Greets and thanks all individuals/groups who are donating time/items during shift, records donor/volunteer data on specified form and provides information packets.
- Informs Development Team of significant donations at the time of the donation so that the proper development staff can personally thank the donor.
- Works with the Director of Family Programming to resolve guest problems or concerns.
- Provides tours to volunteers/groups when needed.
- Takes photos of guests or other House activities as needed.
- Remains on site at all times.
- Monitors storm warnings and notifies guests to relocate as appropriate.
- Answers/handles all incoming telephone calls, checks office phone for messages routinely during the shift (i.e. hourly) and leaves messages with appropriate staff members when needed.
- Completes required shift paperwork.
- Performs data entry, photocopying, storing of supplies, other clerical tasks, as needed.
- Is proficient in any electronic registration and guest tracking systems.
- Maintains office environment in a tidy and clean manner .
- Is responsible for overseeing the ongoing operation, safety, security and cleanliness of the House during each shift. Responds to emergency calls after consulting with senior management, if needed.
- Walks through house at least once per shift and takes care of any minor problems.
- Deals with minor maintenance/cleaning issues (example: cleaning countertops, taking out trash, changing light bulbs) if other staff are not available.
- Documents any unresolved cleaning or maintenance problems/needs, equipment failures, lights out, etc.
- Is oriented to and able to operate various systems used in the building (fire alarms, check circuit breakers, etc.) and documents issues as appropriate.
- Maintains the security of all entrances.
- In case of a weather emergency or in the case of any other emergency or problematic situation, contacts management and remains on duty. Is responsible for guest relations and House operations until management arrives or until dismissed.
- Reports to work on time.
- Is available to work assigned shifts 24/7/365, including holidays and to cover other shifts when needed (sick, requests for time off, etc.).
- If unable to report to work (late, sick etc), notifies the Director of Operations and on duty staff as soon as possible per procedures and attempts to arrange replacement coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reads and acknowledges all memorandum and written communications relevant to position/RMHCA operations. Complies with all RMHCA policies and procedures.
- Completes orientation, attends any required in-service training .
- Punctual and reliable.
- Complies with any immunization, health history or drug testing requirements established by RMHCA/hospital management in accordance with health/safety policies.
- If requested, signs any releases required for initial/periodic employee background reviews.
- Is expected to have a working knowledge of RMHCA and its programs and to be able to clearly and positively represent the organization to guests, volunteers and visitors present during a shift. The Family Care Specialist II should be knowledgeable of and adhere to relevant RMHCA/hospital policies and procedures.
Qualifications, skills and abilities required:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or three years requisite experience required.
- Excellent people and communications skills.
- Proficiency with word-processing. Basic spreadsheet software familiarity required.
- Prior administrative or public contact work or volunteer experience.
- Prior retail or hotel experience.
- Sound problem solving/decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus.
This position description provides a general overview of the duties, responsibilities and work conditions of the position. It does not constitute an employment contract and is subject to modification at the discretion of RMHCA management.
Applicants should email their resume to Director of Operations Ms. Chris Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org.