|at ( view profile)|
Be a game changer.
Be a Mental Health Associate and build young adults.
Purpose and Mission:
We are looking for exemplary Mental Health Associates to join our team and work at the highest levels of quality, integrity, cultural competence, safety and enthusiasm for the teens and families we serve. Mental Health Associate's understand that our clients' negative behaviors are due to prior experiences from severe abuse, neglect and/or trauma. Thus these individuals are instrumental in providing a secure, trauma-informed, positive and healthy environment that is required for effective healing.
Mental Health Associates help teens on Gateway's campus develop self esteem, confidence and positive peer relationships while healing from trauma.
- Provides routine non-acute physical care and participatory supervision, education and evaluation of program services for patients under direction of licensed staff in accordance with treatment plan and policies
- Listens to clients, provides positive reinforcement and promotes positive peer culture among residents
- Accurately obtains/records information about appearance and mental status, general admissions information and explains Patient Rights and responsibilities to all new patients
- Assesses and ensures needs of residents are being met including clothing, linens and hygiene supplies; supervises residents’ personal hygiene tasks
- Participates in/escorts residents to mealtime, outdoor/indoor recreation, educational activities; educates and supervises as required
- Performs visual assessment of surroundings upon arrival and periodically to prevent harm and reduce disruption to clients, staff and visitors
- Effectively manages disruptive and/or aggressive behavior in accordance with treatment procedures and program expectations using restraint or deescalating techniques per Mandt guidelines
- Responds to emergency situations consistent with agency policies and procedures and standards for client safety and well being
- Performs routine conferences as necessary and advises supervisor if more expert counseling is needed; participates in residential staff treatment meetings as needed
- Administers medication in accordance with procedures including documentation
- Promotes the development and safety of the residents including adhering to safety, assessment, boundaries, emotional and coping skills guidelines
- Remains alert at all times, anticipating needs and potentially unsafe situations
- Attends to applicable shift specific duties and policies including assisting with morning schedule, line of sight supervision for residents during night shift, evening campus and cottage security
- Transports residents to appointments in agency vehicles (as assigned), adhering to agency transportation policies, passenger safety using safe driving practices
- Records client behavior, progress and problems as instructed including shift notes, MAR Book, Van Logs, medical referral forms and other reports as assigned
- Provides receipts and other expense documentation as needed
- Completes paperwork for maintenance/grounds repair, reports hazards to supervisor immediately
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Sociology or related field preferred
- OR one year experience working in a psychiatric residential facility for adolescents; as well as a High School Diploma or GED.
Position Specific Competencies:
Clear communication skills (verbal, written and listening) and ability to facilitate therapeutic groups. Able to engage in physical recreational activities with residents. Position has moderate to heavy physical demands – incumbent must have strength and stamina to meet physical, mental and emotional demands and stressors. Position requires walking, running, standing, lifting, irregular work hours and assisting with restraint of clients weighing in excess of 100 pounds.
Attends and participates in scheduled supervision and staff meetings. Participates in in-service/staff training. Maintains certifications in CPR/AED, First Aid, Mandt, MAR and other certifications relevant to position.
Gateway hires the best people, because the children and families we serve deserve nothing less. Our team is a hardworking, ethical, diverse and courageous workforce of champions. We are game changers, leaders and innovators, dedicated to building strong families and stronger communities. Each team member is an exemplary professional and role model, working at the highest levels of quality, integrity, cultural competence, safety and enthusiasm. Our unique strengths combine in Gateway’s collaborative environment to produce world-class outcomes for those we serve.
New Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits + 9 Paid Holidays
Gateway is Alabama's leader in family solutions and Birmingham's oldest nonprofit. We are experts in building strong families, thus stronger communities through a variety of services. This year alone, our workforce of champions have produced proven results:
- 107 Gateway families stayed together through counseling.
- 57 children returned to their families.
- 34 foster teens got a job.
- Families in financial crises paid back $560,000 of debt.
- 15 families kept their Homes through mortgage counseling.