|at ( view profile)|
|Job Function||Community Organizing|
|Salary||competitive non-profit salary and benefits|
About Alabama Appleseed: Alabama Appleseed is a non-profit, non-partisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1999 whose mission is to achieve justice and equity for all Alabamians. Alabama Appleseed conducts integrated culture and policy change campaigns to remedy the root causes of injustice. Its campaigns use policy analysis, research and documentation, public education, community organizing, pro bono engagement, coalition building, and litigation. Alabama Appleseed is a member of the national Appleseed Network, which includes 17 Appleseed Centers across the U.S. and in Mexico City.
Position Summary: Alabama Appleseed seeks a dynamic Organizer to build community support for fair lending practices. The Organizer will be responsible for developing close relationships with a variety of individuals and organizations representative of local communities and will develop and execute a campaign plan designed to build support for access to fair credit. The Organizer will build a base of engaged volunteer leaders who will in turn organize community forums, rallies, and delegations to meet with decision makers. The Organizer will also build relationships with community organizations, faith leaders, and other grassroots leaders. The Organizer position is funded through May 2018, with the possibility of extension if funding is available. The Organizer reports to the Executive Director. The position is based in Appleseed’s Montgomery office, but will require frequent travel.
- Develop and execute an organizing campaign around ensuring access to fair credit;
- Represent Alabama Appleseed in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners;
- Develop trust and partnerships with community-based organizations;
- Speak publicly on behalf of Alabama Appleseed at community forums and other community meetings and coalition events;
- Build support of community organizations, faith leaders, and other grassroots leaders;
- Work collaboratively with coalition partners, volunteers, and other community leaders to execute large and effective community actions (forums, rallies, meetings, etc.);
- Identify, cultivate, and develop strong volunteer leaders who will develop and execute community actions (forums, rallies, meetings, etc.);
- Organize and provide trainings for community members and coalition partners on how to conduct policy advocacy with decision makers;
- Develop and implement social media strategies to engage and educate activists and volunteers;
- Organize and attend meetings with decision makers; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to Alabama Appleseed’s mission, vision, and approach to advocacy;
- Two or more years of organizing experience highly preferred, especially around integrated advocacy campaigns;
- Valid automobile driver’s license - this position will involve extensive travel throughout Alabama;
- Ability to get along and work collaboratively with diverse personalities;
- Strong initiative and follow through and ability to multi-task effectively; and
- Willingness to work long hours, including weekends, and travel throughout the state, as needed.
Salary and Benefits: This full-time, temporary position offers a competitive non-profit salary and benefits package and reimbursement of travel-related expenses.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Alabama Appleseed’s Executive Director, Frank Knaack, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please write “Organizer” in the subject line.
Alabama Appleseed values an inclusive culture and diverse workforce. Alabama Appleseed encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.