|at ( view profile)|
Be a game changer. Be Gateway's Secondary Exceptional Education Teacher.
Purpose and Mission:
We are looking for an exemplary Secondary Exceptional Education Teacher to join our team and work at the highest levels of quality, integrity, cultural competence, safety and enthusiasm. This person will provide exceptional education instruction so that students will achieve all educational expectations.
- Develops lesson plans to support the State Course of Study
- Schedules IEP Meetings
- Plans and implements IEPs for exceptional education students to address academic and behavior needs
- Regularly monitors student performance and progress
- Employs a variety of instructional strategies
- Collects, interprets, and uses data to plan and document instruction
- Defines goals and objectives for long range instruction and daily lesson plans
- Communicates high learning expectations for all students
- Maintains confidentiality
- Ability to problem solve
- Engages in personal growth
- Responds to inquires in a timely manner
- Maintains and submits required reports, records, and correspondence in a timely manner
- Plans, attends, and supervises students on educational field trips to support the curriculum
- Administers per/post testing for students
- Leads Basic Living Skills (BLS) group, as needed
- Models professional behavior and appropriately leads/manages students during transition and class time
- Maintains safe, structured, and well organized classroom environment conducive to effective learning
- Ensures orderly classroom behavior in the dining hall and provides positive discipline as needed
- Participates in the therapeutic milieu with residential staff to ensure success with ratio, safety, and trauma healing outcomes.
- Maintains student records to include IEPs, progress reports, and report cards
- Coordinates implementation of services with Residential Life Staff
- Maintains professional boundaries and follows Gateway Code of Ethics
- Master’s Degree from an accredited university
- Valid Alabama Teaching Certificate
- Secondary Special Education Certification
- At least one year teaching in a special education setting.
- Ability to be punctual and in regular attendance
- Proficiency in oral and written communication sills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum
- Ability to use technology to communicate, to manage data, and to produce reports and correspondence
- Ability to work 12 months
- Alabama Driver’s License, good driving record and automobile insurance to meet agency standards.
- Classroom teaching for extended periods of time.
- Position has moderate to heavy physical demands including lifting 25 lbs and restraining in excess of 100 lbs.
- Incumbent must have strength and stamina to meet physical, mental and emotional demands and stressors.
Gateway hires the best people, because the children and families we serve deserve nothing less. Our team is a hardworking, ethical, diverse and courageous workforce of champions. We are game changers, leaders and innovators, dedicated to building strong families and stronger communities. Each team member is an exemplary professional and role model, working at the highest levels of quality, integrity, cultural competence, safety and enthusiasm. Our unique strengths combine in Gateway’s collaborative environment to produce world-class outcomes for those we serve.
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits + 9 Paid Holidays
Gateway is Alabama's leader in family solutions and Birmingham's oldest nonprofit. We are experts in building strong families, thus stronger communities through a variety of services. This year alone, our workforce of champions have produced proven results:
- 107 Gateway families stayed together through counseling.
- 57 children returned to their families.
- 34 foster teens got a job.
- Families in financial crises paid back $560,000 of debt.
- 15 families kept their Homes through mortgage counseling.