Administration / Operations
|Address||200 19th Street North|
Celebrating its 20th year, McWane Science Center is seeking a Vice President of Operations to lead, support and expand its earned revenue areas which account for 70% of the organization’s $8+ million budget. Areas of supervision include Visitor Services, Food and Beverage, Retail Operations and Events (including Overnight Adventures and Birthdays). As a member of the senior management team actively participating in and supporting the center’s strategic plan, this position is also responsible for collaborating across departments to strengthen all aspects of the visitor experience and establish organization-wide practices supporting the highest level of customer service.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
1. Leadership: As a member of the senior leadership of McWane Science Center, participate in establishing and supporting vision and clear objectives for the implementation of the strategic plans of the organization. Lead by example to foster a culture of leadership, cooperation, high expectations and accountability for meeting shared goals across multiple departments. Develop policies, procedures and training for the revenue generating and operational departments in alignment with the mission and strategic plan of the organization.
2. Staff Management: Recruit, develop, lead and supervise the staff for Visitor Services, Food and Events Services, Retail Operations and Security. Ensure that job descriptions are updated, regular performance evaluations are held, and sound human resource practices are in place. Maintain a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of top quality individuals.
3. Financial Oversight: Oversee budgets for operational departments with a particular interest in maximizing resources for effective operation. Forecast financial requirements and staffing needs and gather and monitor information from respective areas of responsibility. Prepare required reports or special studies related to fiscal matters, operations, maintenance, guest experience, and revenue generation in these areas. Establish goals and budgets for all operating functions within established guidelines.
4. Visitor Experience: Collaborate across departments to develop and strengthen all aspects of the visitor experience. Establish organization-wide efforts to ensure safety and comfort of our visitors and employees through collaborative planning and initiatives. Establish clear expectations of an exceptional visitor experience and provide consistent and effective visitor services training to front-line staff. Consistently evaluate the visitor experience and develop plans for improvement.
5. Earned Revenue: Monitor earned revenue and net profitability of assigned areas of responsibility to meet or exceed budgeted goals and expectations. Develop plans for improvement where needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business management or commensurate experience.
2. Minimum of five years management experience supervising multiple direct reports and/or departments.
3. Able to work collaboratively with senior management and diverse constituencies.
4. Possess strategic focus with an eye on details and efficiency.
5. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
6. Organized and efficient work habits; ability to multi-task and operate effectively with distractions.
7. Able to work under tight schedules and deadlines.
8. Strong leadership skills with proven ability to motivate and develop teams of professionals.
9. Self-starter willing to take initiative.
10. Informed, creative thinker who possesses flexible problem-solving skills.
11. Ability to analyze data and determine effective response to those findings.
12. Ability to delegate effectively and take immediate action to meet the organization’s needs.
13. Excellent communication skills with emphasis on conflict resolution.
14. Ability to work successfully in a liaison role, establishing and maintaining effective communications with staff, volunteers, Board Members and community partners.
15. Above-average computer skills.
16. Flexible availability including nights, weekends and holidays.
17. Valid Alabama driver’s license and minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
1. Perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time.
2. Walk/stand/sit for considerable periods of time over the course of the day without being able to leave work area.
3. Able to lift up to 25lbs.
4. Grasp objects utilizing the fingers (fine motor coordination).
5. Visual/hearing/speech acuity.