|at ( view profile)|
|Address||Birmingham Zoo, Inc., 2630 Cahaba Road|
The Volunteer Manager defines and implements the vision and goals for adult and youth volunteer programming at the Birmingham Zoo and is ultimately responsible for its development, expansion and evaluation. Current programming includes Information Ambassadors, Zoo Guides, special events, and administration. The Volunteer Manager also currently oversees the Zoo’s college internship programs and would be a leading voice in the near-term evolution of this program.
The Volunteer Manager is responsible for aligning the volunteer program with the mission, values and evolving needs of the Zoo as we enter an accelerated stage of growth associated with the future opening of the Asian Passage, projected for 2023. This new exhibit expansion, as well as the expansion of our conservation works though our PiCA Programs will require significant growth in the size and scope of the volunteer program.
The Volunteer Manager works closely with the Onsite Interpretation Manager, other managers and staff to ensure that the Birmingham Zoo meets the needs of all guests. This position requires a strong ability to work in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Participates in long-term planning, goal setting, and budgeting for all aspect of the Zoo’s Volunteer Programs
- Collaborate with staff to support their volunteer requests
- Receive feedback from staff about observations of volunteer activities and follows through as appropriate
- Work closely with staff on volunteer issues including handling all formal volunteer corrective actions and dismissals
- Collaborate with departments to develop volunteer policies, guidelines, job descriptions and requirements
- Develop and maintain a volunteer opportunity guide and handbook and update as necessary
- Administer volunteer policies and procedures, revising as needed
- Recruit, train, retain, and recognize volunteers
- Create, foster, and maintain community relationships to meet the demands of volunteer requests
- Network locally and nationally with other volunteer administrators to develop and maintain best practices
- Oversees the on-line volunteer database to ensure that volunteer information and assignments are up-to-date
- Oversees regular communication with volunteers to make sure they are up to date on knowledge and current events concerning the Zoo’s animals, programs and conservation efforts.
- Works with the Zoo’s Marketing Department to ensure the most accurate and correct information is on our website and shared via social media
- Completes administrative paperwork as needed/directed.
- Creates, maintains, monitors, and distributes supplies to support Volunteer Programs
- Hires, supervises and evaluates Volunteer Department staff
- Researches and writes for the membership magazine and other publications as requested
- Participates in Birmingham Zoo teams and projects.
- Maintains knowledge and awareness of trends in volunteerism and designs the program to benefit from them
- Works proactively to advance a team spirit and positive work climate among Zoo employees and closely monitors the morale of staff and takes appropriate action to resolve issues
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous volunteer program coordination experience strongly
- Must be goal oriented, highly motivated, and be able to multi-task.
- Must possess excellent leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Training and presentation skills required.
- Proficient with technology.
- The ability to work successfully as part of a team.
- Must have a current valid driver’s license with no prior traffic violations (within the last five years).
- Must have current negative TB test and provide documentation, or be willing to have a TB test.
- Must be First aid/CPR certified or willing to be trained and certified.
- Experience with Google Drive is a plus
POSITION TYPE AND HOURS OF WORK
- Full time
- Weekdays and weekends, seasonal evening work and holidays required
- May be added to Manager on Duty rotation
If interested, please apply on our website: www.birminghamzoo.com, About Us, Employment.